What does it mean to be an activist? An activist is someone who actively wants to stimulate a change in the world. Yoga offers an effective form of activism because it teaches us that there really is no "out there" out there. What we see in the world around us is only a reflection of what is inside us. We create the world we live in. If we want to change what we don't like in the world, we must start by changing what we don't like about ourselves. That is a task we can handle and one that will actually succeed in changing the world.
If we want to change what we don't like in the world, we must start by changing what we don't like in ourselves. Sharon Gannon
We are in the midst of a global existential crisis. Most humans don't recognise that WE are causing the crisis. Many of us who are aware that we are causing the crisis don't know what to do about it. A yogi, by definition, is someone who is striving to live harmoniously with the Earth and, through that good relationship, purify his or her karma so that enlightenment can arise. What is realised in the enlightened state is the oneness of being or the interconnectedness of all beings. Such a shift in consciousness, with the consistent actions behind it, has the potential to save our planet. In fact, it is essential.
What can you as an individual do?
- Live by example, showing others the yogic path. Remember that the path is about progress, not perfection.
- Understand your values, and make steps to align your lifestyle to be consistent with those values (link to questionnaire?)
- Choose the kind lifestyle. Choose food, clothing and products that are plant-based.
- Work on removing your ego from your food choices
- Consciously work on healing your emotional wounds (Samsakaras). By healing yourself, you help heal the world.
- Educate yourself on ethical, environmental and personal health benefits of adopting a plant-based lifestyle, so that you are better equipped to share correct information with others
- Yoga: https://jivamuktiyoga.com/about-sharon-david/about-sharon-david/
- Educate others. Many people don't understand the violence they are supporting when they consume animal products. Help them make the connection between their values as yoga practitioners and their daily choices of what to eat, wear and use. Check out our free digital downloads for printing or sharing on social media.